Art has been an integral part of my life since I was a child. My style, my passion, my energy is boundless… I love discovering, I love looking, I love seeing, I love the way others see, and I love doing! I don’t worry about doing it wrong…. There is no such thing in the creative process. I like how Albert Einstein said,“The easiest way to be creative: try something different, even if you don’t think it will work.”
This is a bit of old style quilting, mixing it up with the fascinating use of color and design and making it your own. Bring your favorite fabrics and scraps whether it’s contemporary, modern, traditional, hand dyes, tonal, batiks, or thimbleberries – it looks best when you throw in everything. Jean will show you her techniques to get things done quick and accurately. Weave your scrap fabrics into a new quilt full of surprises.
$12.00 Kit Fee which includes your own Plexiglass Kite-Shaped Templatealong with written instructions
Foam core, 20” x 30” for portable design wall
June Tailor Shape Cut JT-796 ruler for squaring up your blocks
June Tailor JT-717 drawing ruler for marking your muslin
OPTIONAL: A fabric “Wacker”//piecesbewithyou.com/product-inventory/wacker
Sewing Machine with power cord and foot control, cleaned and in good working order with a new needle, extension cord and surge protector
Zipper foot for your sewing machine or 1/4” foot
Basic Sewing Kit to include:
Fabric marking pen or pencil, ruler, scissors for clipping threads, shears, pins and seam ripper, etc.
Rotary cutter with a good blade, mat for use with rotary cutting tool, and ruler
- IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A PILLOW: For your pillow back – 22″ of selvage to selvage fabric (do not cut off the selvage) and a 20″ pillow form
- KITE SHAPES – Scraps of fabric (any size – all 100% cotton), in many different colors and patterns (for kite shaped crazy pieced parts) A charm pack works great for these crazy pieced kite shapes and provides some overall continuity
- STRIPS – If you are making a traditional 7-ring spider web, you will need 1-1/2″ strips… If you are making a 5-ring traditional spider web, you will need 2″ strips. If you are making a “liberated” spider web, bring scraps. If you don’t know, just bring fabric and we can make that decision together.
- 50W Cotton Thread Neutral colored cotton thread for piecing – available in my store
- We use muslin for your foundation. You will need four 11” x 11” squares, to start with for this class. If you are making something other than a pillow, you may want to contact me and talk about what size muslin squares you would want to start with.
Art Quilting, tracing, free motion quilting and learning how to “shade” to give your drawings dimension. In this class learn how to create dimension using India Ink PITT Pens and Dual Brush Pens and other techniques to embellish your quilts, become an art quilter or just have fun making a cute wall hanging or pillow.
It’s easier than you think:
Like using a coloring book, trace the pattern onto fabric with Indian Ink pens, then color and shade them. Learn how to highlight and shadow using dual-tip pens. Your work look more dimensional and your drawings will come alive. Then a bit of free motion sewing and you’ll be done!
Required: Pam Holland’s book, The Adventures of the Amazing Alphabet,has all of her patterns and is a requirement to take this class.It includes all the alphabet patterns for your personal use. Available at my on-line storewww.Sew.Jean.com$32.00
To make one of the patterns from Pam’s book, these 5 India ink pens are needed for each pattern. Other colors may be needed as well, but you will definitely use these five colors:
Ink Pens by Fabrico and Tombow – there are many colors to choose from – at a minimum you will need these 5 colors.
Fabrico dual tip pen – Cool Gray
Fabrico dual tip pen – Real Black
Fabrico dual tip pen – Poppy Red
Fabrico dual tip pen – Baby Blue
Fabrico dual tip pen – Sand
I will bring a full inventory of pens for sale:
$3.50/each: Fabrico and Tombow; $4.00/each: Faber Castell
I doNOTbring Micron Pens for sale.
Faber-Castell’s Pitt Artist Pen also available at my online store (Do NOT buy the pens that says Faber Castell “quilting!”)
Optional Supplies: Light box for tracing… or use an Ott light under a Plexiglas sewing table.
Background Fabric, neutrals work well, but we can make anything work. The fabric needs to be of a high quality and thread count. No white on white fabric. Maywood shadow play or a Moda fabric work well.
A Black Micron Pen, tip size .005 used for shading (No other colors or sizes)
A1.1-Hour Lecture: Finding Your Passion & Running With It,Friday: 9 to 10 a.m.
Talking though my process of working in a series (Spider Webs), how to continue to develop your passion through repetition, practice and inspiration,with the end being that you make your own unique work.