In this workshop, you’ll learn the basics of painting on fabric to make whole cloth painted quilts. You’ll choose from one of my designs (shown below) and use acrylic textile paints to create at least one small piece. Do not worry if you’ve never painted anything before … this may look complicated, but it isn’t once you learn a bit.
We will discuss:
- selecting the right photos for great results
- how to mix colors, shades and tints
- which paints and fabrics to use and why
- how to transfer your design to fabric
- painting and blending techniques
- heat setting
- interfacing and thread sketching considerations
- batting, backing and preparing for quilting
- options for finishing (facing, binding, pillowcaseturn) and hanging your work.
- If you have photos you’d like to paint on fabric after this workshop, please bring them with you.
We will talk about which ones would work best, and why.
Kit fee is $20 (payable to Susan at the workshop).
The kit includes:
- Pimatex PFO fabric by Robert Kaufman
- set of paint brushes for acrylic paint
- use of my textile paints and extender
- a small paint kit to take home
- pattern and photo